Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..

Thursday, June 26, 2014

The situation in Mosul.

I don't know what to say, my heart is full of sorrow and fear
The past 3 weeks were the hardest ever, 11 years of war , I've written about hard days in blog but they are nothing compared to what happened this time.
War between armed men and al Maliki's army
I arrived Baghdad on 29/5 , i came in a visit to my grandparents.  On Friday morning 6/6 , my mom received an sms from dad,  he said "a bloody battle in our neighborhood since 3 am "
The fight started at 3 am on Tuesday , no one knew what was going on , shelling, heavy shooting , and explosions , my dad and grandparents stayed in the corridor for 3 days.
I was catching my mobile phone looking for news all the time, the people in Mosul ( who had Internet connection) were writing about this huge battle in face book they even posted photos taken from their own houses, i called my dad several time to tell him whats happening outside , they were trapped with no TV nor Internet , the electricity was off , and they had no water as well. 
On Saturday 7/6 , we lost the communication with dad and grandparents , their mobile batteries were low , so they had to close them to save the battery for emergency , as well as for security reasons there was perturbation on the neighborhood ..
we were catching our mobile phones waiting for a call or sms saying they are alive .
Finally a text message from dad , he said " the coverage is very bad , motors are falling on the neighborhood , thank god you guys are not here"
Later at midnight , my dad sent a text message "we can't even leave, they're fighting in our street and in front of our house we cant even go to the next room"
Next day, With the early morning we got a phone call from our relative, he said that all my relatives in nearby neighborhoods will leave Mosul together as soon as they can , then we got a phone call which was devastating , they said dad and grandpa couldn't leave, and my relatives left without them. 
what is going to happen to dad and grandparents ? my mom and i were so worried, we were just praying for a light of hope.
Later on Monday, dad called us, mom answered :
- oh my god , dear , how are you?
Dad couldn't catch a breath , he said 
- we are walking fast , we could do it , we left the neighborhood , i cant speak anymore , bye
This short phone call was the light of hope we were praying for.
We didn't know how did they leave, or where they are going , but we felt more relief.
My dad , grandma and grandpa walked a lot to reach the other part of Mosul,  the hardest thing was to leave the neighborhood as the shelling and shooting was heavy , but they had no other choice, And thanks to Allah they survived.
Grandma , after walking for large distance said she can't walk anymore , so they took a rest in a friends' house to catch a breath , meanwhile dad sent a message " we don't know were to go , we just want to reach the other part of Mosul , to any neighborhood " At 7:30 pm dad called to say they reached our friend's house (uncle S ) which is faraway from our neighborhood , this trip took them 9 hours but they took two rests .
thousands of people were " migrating " elderly people , pregnant women ( we know a woman who walked to reach a hospital outside Mosul to give birth of twins ! ) , people who just had a surgery (like a friend of mine , and dad's uncle) , kids , injured people , guys carrying disabled people , and many others , they were walking to the unknown .. 
That day at midnight , exactly at 1 am , soldiers started to shout hysterically and hitting the door dad went outside running with uncle S.
-what is going on?
-YOU MUST LEAVE NOW , SHELLING IS ABOUT TO START.
Three families were staying in one house (18 people ) , uncle s and his family, my family, and uncle k's family .
uncle S had 3 cars , so he let my dad drive one, and uncle k took the other one, they left in such a hurry and panic.
The soldiers took off their  military clothes , threw their weapons in the streets, wore civilian clothes and ran away, leaving the left part of city under the control of The armed men, they surrendered with out fight.
All the families in the right part of Mosul left their houses, as well as the majority of people in the left part . People were driving towards the northern part of Iraq, villages , or any safe place..
After 11 hours of driving in the night, dad reached a calm village at 12 pm , we know a friend who has a house there, he was so generous And invited many other families to stay as well.
They spent one night there, and went back to Mosul , to uncle s's house again.. 
The shelling was just a rumor to terrify people. 
On Wednesday , dad called , he told my mom that he must go back to our home, to take our money, important papers, gold, cloths , and medications.
many men went to their houses as well,  to take the important stuff , before another bloody battle starts !
Many families returned to the left part of Mosul, as they couldn't find any place to stay in villages, or couldn't enter Duhok and Arbile cities, We know many people who stayed in the streets at that night waiting to enter the northern cities, but not all of them were allowed . Especially after Duhok and Arbile became crowded with moslawi people.
8 days later, my dad and grandparents returned to our house..
Right now,  there is no shooting , and armed men took control of Mosul and near by villages, as well as other cities .. 
there is no electricity, no fuel, no gas, no salaries, lack of food supplies especially the one that need Freezers , the vegetables and fruits are bad and expensive , as there are no electricity the food in our refrigerators molded , people are struggling in this hot weather (42 Cel)
Everyone is worried and upset , no one knows what will happen next.
We just want a suitable life like any other human being in the world, is it too much to ask?  
We are thinking seriously to leave , but how? where? When? We don't know ..
Sunshine.


note : I'll try to post some photos as soon as i have a better internet connection . 







33 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Blogger Malcolm Kirkpatrick said...

I have been thinking of you, Sunshine, since our papers reported on the ISIL advance on Mosul. I will be sorry to see a courageous voice go dark, but that might be wise. Other than that, no advice, no prayers (I'm a materialist), just worries, wishes, and hopes to read your reports again in five or ten years when you can write safely.
I am so sorry. Take care.

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Crusader said...

Oh Sunshine! That is terrible! I am so glad you posted because I was worried about you when I heard the city involved, I am praying for you and your family!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Crusader said...

Sunshine, things are so bad, with no sign of getting better. I think you should come to America. SO many Iraqi's already have. You have so many influential, powerful American friends that can make that happen for you. I will help in any way I can as well. I know that will make you sad to leave, but why not leave for a little bit just to be safe? ok? :(

Just think about it

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please be safe Sunshine, you and your family. I feel so sad and scared for you all :(
I am so glad you posted too.

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine,

After hearing about violence in Mosul I've checked your blog many times hoping to learn that you and your family are OK.

I'm so sorry about all of this. It is terrifying--- no one should have to go through something like this!

I will watch for updates. Thank you for posting!

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Burnt Orange said...

Sunshine, we are all praying for you, your family and your country.

 
At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine...I'm very concerned for your family's safety. These are bad times for sure. My prayers are with you.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger jarvenpa said...

You and your family have been in my thoughts. I hope for your safety and for your happiness. I am glad you posted. I know "happiness" may seem a far away thing...but I pray for it for you and those you love.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Sunshine said...

Thanks for your comments and prayers .
Sunshine

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger David said...

I'm so sorry Sunshine. I heard about Mosul, but your post is the first personal account of what has happened that I have read. I hope your family will stay safe and that you will see them all soon!

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish there was a way I could help your family Sunshine, for that matter, all of Iraq. As I read your blog I am watching a documentary about the begining of the war and the hope the Iraqi people had. I can't even guess the end of all of this. Please stay safe, keep you Sun Shining.
Solo

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

terrible news but at least you all survived. I have been thinking of you and worrying. Crusader does have a point. Worth cosidering. Take care.
starliz

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sunshine it has been years since we talked I used to follow your blog. You called me Mama. Is it possible for you to get to America? I offer our home to you and your family. I am so sorry this is happening!!! Sending you love and prayers for all the people of Iraq!!

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Sunshine, I have followed your blog for awhile now since you were 16! You and you family have shown such courage through it all. You have taught us all the history, the humanity, and what everyday family life in Mosul is like. You are one of the last bloggers to tell us what is going on in Iraq. I thought of you and your family when fighting broke out. I know you love your country, but your safety and future are more important. I hope you will realize every dream in your young life, and find some peace. You of all people deserve to know what real peace is.

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right - no one should live like this. May you and your family (and all the people of Iraq) find a way to peace soon. Be safe.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger possum said...

It is now the end of August and still no word from you. It worries many of us. Our love and prayers go out to you. May Allah be watching over you and your family. If you ever make it to Amerika, you will have a home here.
I do hope to hear from you soon.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray for you and your family you are sooo strong and brave you Have a voice that means something never give up hope

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger possum said...

We keep waiting to hear from you... worrying about your safety.
We pray for you and your family.
Please post a little message to let us know you are OK.

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope things goes better in your country, and i m sure You will enjoy your life as you deserve. But you must go to another place. This world is so big to stay in such a problematic place even if it is your own country. Life is so short. Hope you can leave soon. I will Pray for you and your family.

No ways for peace,
Peace is the way!!

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Emily A. said...

I saw the video of the students being killed in Iraq and I want to know you are okay. I want to know you are not dead. Are you still alive? Did you survive the massacre?

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Thinking about you. Praying you and yours are OK!!

Bonnie

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sending you love Sunshine please post were you are, how you and your family are. Is there any way we can help you. I am worried and sad this is happening Iraq and else where!

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Joanna's Camino, 2019 said...

Dear Sunshine, I am sorry to hear of the renewed and intensified problems in your country which have put so many in danger. i had been concerned previously when the blog went silent for a while, and then thought to check again. I can only hope that you and your family will be able to reach safety and that you can use your engineering degree to get a job. You've worked long and hard for this and deserve to have a peaceful fulfilling life. You are welcome in many places and have only to contact your followers for help.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Joanna's Camino, 2019 said...

Dear Sunshine, I am sorry to hear of the renewed and intensified problems in your country which have put so many in danger. i had been concerned previously when the blog went silent for a while, and then thought to check again. I can only hope that you and your family will be able to reach safety and that you can use your engineering degree to get a job. You've worked long and hard for this and deserve to have a peaceful fulfilling life. You are welcome in many places and have only to contact your followers for help.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous john said...

Nice blog. Thanks for sharing this to us and it helped me a lot. Looking forward for the next! GBU

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Sunshine - thinking of you and hoping you and yours are alive and well. Prayers and blessings from Texas to you.

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you and your family.


Kenny

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please stay safe Sunshine sending you and your family love!!!

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God. Are she and her family still alive?!!

I am so worried!!!

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all is well.. Please keep us posted

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please tell us if you're okay?

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Viks said...

Hi Sunshine

it has been more than a year now. Are you and your family safe?

Your followers are concerned about your wellbeing.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sunshine,

Love and prayers for you and yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home